Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday, 7:50 a.m., Haight Fillmore - Union Fillmore


She rides up front, a new rider. I would have noticed her before.
She's got some sort of disability, but that is not why she caught my eyes.
I was sitting four rows back once when I saw her ankles.
She's got these perfect ballerina ankles - an extension that any other dancer could spot from a mile away. They are quietly admirable.
So, last week I tried to talk to her about dancing. I tried to ask if she had ever been a ballerina.
She mumbled and wiggled and I caught harsh glances from other riders for "bothering" her.
I felt a pest. Perhaps, her disability might be on levels more than I had presumed.
But this morning I was moving toward the back and passed her trying to carry on a conversation plain as a political sex scandal with the stranger next to her..
She waved good-bye to a woman who ignored her at Fillmore and Golden Gate and stepped off through the front doors.
She walked with a cane, but all the more daintily across the street.
I was jealous of her gait and pained that it was me that she didn't want to talk with.


-photo compliments of Art Barn

No comments:

Post a Comment